Wednesday, June 23, 2010

From the Mouth of Babes

It's amazing how quickly little toddlers pick up on new thoughts and ideas, and repeat it back to you. They're like little sponges! It brings me to tears often, sometimes because it's so sweet, and others because I think of the things that slip out of me that I DON'T want repeated by a almost two-year-old!

Case in point, Kendall spent a few hours at her friend's house since her mom was so sweet to watch her so I could run a few errands. Kendall knows the mom who is our MMO director, so I was confident she would be fine. She put a video on for Kendall while her girls napped. Though I'm familiar with the video series, Ms. PattyCake, Kendall had yet to see one. Well, the next day she was doing some motion I didn't recognize. It took another friend, Kendall's Sunday school teacher, to tell me it was from a Ms. PattyCake video. She had only seen it one time and not only did she remember it, she was rehearsing it all week!

Anyway, here's evidence that all I'm trying to teach Kendall is soaking in. (Ever feel like you repeat yourself over and over and it doesn't seem to be going anywhere?) Today, Sophie (our poodle, our disgruntled and belligerent poodle) was not in her best of moods. She let Kendall know with a warning growl when Kendall tried to play with her. I've told Kendall many times that a growl is her way of saying "no" so leave her alone. Today I added, "Sophie doesn't always do the right thing. The Bible says to be nice, and Sophie is not doing what the Bible says." Kendall seemed to nod in understanding and went on with her play elsewhere.

Fast forward a few hours. Kendall and I were sitting around talking to friends at church. Kendall found a Bible, brought it to me, and pointed to it and said, "Nice!" It was so sweet that my heart melted into a puddle right there. My friend asked her, "Kendall, what does the Bible say?" and she replied, "Nice!"

From the lips of children and infants you have ordained praise. Matthew 21:16

As the rain and the snow come down from heaven and do not return to it without watering the earth and making it bud and flourish, so that it yields seed for the sower and bread for the eater, so is My Word that goes out from My mouth. It will not return to Me empty, but will accomplish what I desire and achieve the purpose for which I sent it. Isaiah 55:10-11

Be kind to one another... Ephesians 4:32

No comments:

Post a Comment