Sunday, May 13, 2012

What I've Been Up To

Too much. I've been up to too much around here.  And my unprecedented blogging absence is due partly to a broken computer which took forEVER to get fixed, and partly due to being pregnant.  Now the computer is up and running just as I'm slowing down kinda but I have alot of catching up to do.

In addition to my normal activities (school/work, wife, mama, church, and all my endless projects) I've tackled cleaning out an overcrowded, cluttered guest room and transforming it into a nursery.  No small feat I tell you.  And at thirty weeks pregnant I'm finally admitting that I just can't keep my normal pace going.  I've slowed down (a tad) but I just have too much going on!

Before I could even make a room for Baby Girl I had to clean out the old stuff and find a way to haul off the guest room furniture.  (Don't look in my garage.  Yikes.) And I knew in my head what I wanted for a nursery this time around.  That's always half my problem.  I get so fixated on my vision that nothing short of what's in my mind will do.  I finally found "the fabrics" I had envisioned and a shop on Etsy that made the bedding for me.  I tackled the curtains myself.  They turned into a labor of love.  "How hard could it be to sew three rows of ruffles on curtains??? Just do it the same way you do pants," I convince myself.  Famous last words.  The curtains alone just about sent me into labor. But I must say they are exactly what I wanted.

Here's pictures of the finished nursery.   

All the wall decor came from Hobby Lobby.  I painted the canvas announcement board myself because, again, I knew just what I wanted.


Above the bed I simply framed material scraps with white frames from the 90% off home decor isle.

The mirror came from a local flea market.  I spent a few hours on the garage floor priming and painting it.  It's just what I wanted. And I figured in my over-achieving brain that as long as I'm in the garage...on the floor...nasty....covered in paint....hey, why not spray paint while I'm at it?  So a wooden wall picture frame, a wooden letter B, some tin canisters and a knobbed shelf took the brunt of that idea.  No more floors for me.  Nope. Done.

And here's a closer look at the bedding.  I love it.  The patchwork quilt is made to the mattress dimensions so it can be a comforter when the crib is converted to a toddler bed.


The hubs did help. He cleaned out his share of the junk (with me standing over him like a drill sergeant he claims.  The poor boy can't part with nothin'), cleared out the room, hung a ceiling fan and curtain rod, and assembled the crib.

The clothes are all washed, sorted, hung and folded in drawers.  Now on to other stuff like monitors, bottles, pack and plays, car seats and various other essential battery required baby must haves.

Ten weeks to go.  It'll be here all too fast.

3 comments: