Friday, April 12, 2013

All I Can Do...And It's Enough

This year for Holy Week leading up to Easter we really tried to downplay the Easter bunny and eggs and cute baby chicks (not that those things in themselves as bad) and instead focus on the true meaning of Easter.  Kendall is now old enough to begin learning about Jesus' ultimate sacrifice on our behalf.

Being the good teacher that I am, I searched Pinterest, pinned a link, and totally copied another mother's great ideas.  Because that's what good teachers do.  So don't be jealous of give me unmerited props for the best Easter lesson ever.  It's totally reproduced :)  In fact, in case you're interested in being a "good teacher" too, here's the link.

Here's the chart that we worked on every night leading up to Easter Sunday.  Each night had a passage to read from the Bible, a verse to (try to) memorize and a picture to glue. 



The few weeks after Easter have got me thinking about some stuff. Often as a mom I feel so overwhelmed about what I have to do and what needs to get done.  There's always a never ending to do list and many days I feel like I'm moving at top speed just to keep my head above water and my house from falling apart. Many days my hopes of actually sewing or blogging (resting is not even in the realm of possibility) are dashed by immediate demands of a tired baby, a hungry family and a full clothes hamper. 

All the physical demands can many times overwhelm the spiritual needs of my family as well.  That's when the condemnation is heaped like burning coals that I'm.just.not.doing.enough.  After all, there's so much to instill and "unteach" from incidental corrupt worldly exposure that my head just spins by it all.

There's definitely a place for purposeful teaching and taking the time to "train up a child in the way she should go". And God does give parents the responsibility to teach their children.  But teaching is where my responsibility as a mother ends and God's begins.  He alone can awaken my child's spirit to His truth.  Only He can change a heart.  I can provide an atmosphere where His Word can be instilled, but He and He alone calls a child to Himself.  And what a relief that is to me.  I cannot succumb to condemnation as a terrible mother when my child does wrong.  And, likewise, I can't take the credit when she does right. If I've been burdened by it all then I've been carrying a load not intended for me since Jesus said His yoke is easy and His burden is light.

In other words...I don't have to be God.  Phew!  That's a good thing because I wouldn't make a good one.  I can't perform miracles; I can't save.  But I can do my best to prepare fertile soil and plant seeds and then pray and watch expectantly for God to bring a harvest.  God's Word does not return void.   I pray daily that...

...God will draw my girls unto Himself.

...God's glory will overwhelm any voice from the world in my girls' hearts.

...God would reveal His truth and awaken my girls' spirits in His perfect timing.

...My girls would love God with all their heart, soul and mind and seek Him first.

...My girls would accept Jesus as Lord and Savior at a young age and become a living sacrifice, allowing God to work His perfect plan planned long ago in their lives.

...My girls would know their true worth in Christ and will take His truth to others.

...God would hide my girls under His almighty shadow protect them physically, emotionally, mentally and spiritually from an enemy that comes to steal, kill and destroy.

I can't DO any of those things myself.  But I sure can introduce them to the Jesus who did it for me and wait expectantly as God raises His next generation for His glory and honor.

No comments:

Post a Comment