I think Kendall will become a little blogger, just like her mama. Lately she has been fascinated by my laptop. Nana and Grandpa bought her her very own laptop for Christmas, and now she is loving it. Why in the world is it necessary for a baby to have a laptop?? And even more so, why would I consider her deprived if she didn't? What has this techno savvy 21st century come to?
I remember punching out codes on the mammoth brown Comodore 64s in high school computer lit class. Throw one of those keyboards across the room (if you can lift, it that is!) and you could knock a cinder block wall out. And watch out for those pesky read/write windows on the floppy disks. A drop land on them and you've lost all! (Rebekah - I know you're laughing!!) And here is my child at the ripe old age of five months mimmicking me on her very own toy computer! She'll look at me like I'm from another planet if I ever mention card catelogs or Encyclopedia Brytannicas. She'll have a world of knowledge at her fingertips.
Gabe and I have already begun too many sentences with, "When I was growing up, we didn't have blah, blah, blah." Oh, what will she think of her parents who are - literally - from another century!!
And I don't want to start on the "getting ahead" bandwagon that so many parents are on these days. Kids are rushed and pressured to "get ahead" and "get an advantage" that sometimes they lose out on the pure joy of being a kid at times. But, I will find a balance and not go off the deep end. This little computer, or cell phone, or whatever toys are sure to come next, isn't hurting her at all. Besides, she looks so studious and smart typing away and clicking her mouse that is literally a mouse. And cute, too, I might add!
"And it's heavy spit! And it won't dry!" Ha-ha-ha! :) At least Kendall wont have to worry about such things. And she does look awfully cute with her laptop!
ReplyDeleteAh, the days of the Smith Corona PWP 3600 are long gone. It's so funny to think how "ancient" we're going to seem to our kids when we tell them about all of that. I have a cousin who is 14 and even she thinks some of the stuff we did "back in the day" are crazy. I 'taught' her typing class last year (which really consisted of them doing a computer program of games they played to learn to type) and they were all horrified when I told them about my teacher calling out letters for us to type. I made them do it for one class period (because they were complaining about their typing games)and by the end of it they were all begging for me not to do it again. It's a wonder we survived...
End the end what will happen is our kids will tell us we're soooooo old and we'll probably be as amused by it as our parents were when we told them the same thing. :)
She just gets cuter by the day! Can't wait for next week. Tell her Nana will help her set up her own blog!
ReplyDelete