Friday, October 23, 2009

It Is What It Is

We successfully managed to hold off on the Zyrtec this week and make a second trip back to the allergist for the skin tests. Kendall's results came back as expected. She's moderately allergic to eggs, and slightly allergic to milk. The allergist was hopeful that the milk allergy would turn up to be nothing but that wasn't the case. Oh well. The bottom line is, NO egg, NO milk, and stay away from dairy, especially cheese. She'll be retested at age four to see if hopefully she has outgrown the allergies by then. Until then, special diet for Kendall. Sigh. I was hoping "special diets" in our family were a thing of the past. (I was on NO sugar NOR refined carbs for two years since my insulin levels were affecting my fertility.) So sadly we are not newcomers to the whole diet thing. But it is what it is. And I am not going to wallow in self pity or anything like that. It could be much worse, and I'm just thankful that it's not. In the grand sceme of things this is just not a huge deal. And if anything, Kendall will be eating healthier because of it.

We made our first trip to the local health food store today. I loaded up on eggless mayo, soy yogurt (she LOVES the stuff, thank goodness), soy ice cream (tastes like cardboard so we'll see), soy cheese (looks just like kraft singles, but doesn't QUITE taste the same), soy cheese frozen pizza, cheeseless ravioli, dairy free Cookie Monster blueberry frozen waffles (that CEO was a freaking genius to hook up with Sesame Street. The characters are on all the products from waffles to crackers and I'm in trouble if Kendall sees them) and dairy-free mac-n-cheese. I realized just how awesome our local Kroger is, as if I wasn't totally a fan already. The over-priced (qualifying for highway robbery) tree-hugging, whale-saving, we-don't-use-plastic-bags -so-bring-your-own (um, all my Kroger bags are being used right now to haul off poop diapers to the LANDFILL), all-natural, organic, health-food store didn't really have a whole lot more (except for the mayo and ice cream) than trust ol' Kroger. I can just send Gabe on his lunch break every once in a while for a thing or two. Our Kroger rocks, having an entire organic section to the store that is just about as big as the health food store we went to.

And I've done some research on how to substitute eggs and milk in cooking and baking, so we'll see how that all works out as well.

All I can say is I hope Kendall outgrows this quickly, for her sake and Gabe's. This diet could break the bank! It'll for sure put a hinder on my coupon-clipping, The Grocery Game shopping. Oh well, I don't bat an eye. After all, she's my baby and there is nothing I wouldn't do for her. It is what it is...a mom's love.


PS. Please don't hate me for being a non-recycle-er. I really do my best to help out. But really, no grocery bags for a mom with a one-year-old??? I'm all about doing my part (small that it is) to reduce trash and waste. But I will happily contribute the the local landfill diaper pile. To redeem myself, I wash clothes mostly on cold, and turn off the water while brushing my teeth and doing dishes. And I shop flea markets.

3 comments:

  1. Don't sweat it about the diapers. I slogged through almost a year of cloth diapers with my daughter in 1990, only to learn that they have about the same environmental impact as disposable, when you count the energy and water costs. And that hasn't changed; the Wall St. Journal had something about it last spring.

    Your mom's been keeping us updated and we've been praying for you guys re: Kendall's allergies. You're impressively calm about it - what a great testimony!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. O that's no fun, Carey. Just a thought about the budget part. But before I make this suggestion, are ya'll changing the whole family's diet, or just Kendall's?

    Regina

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sidney's friend, Levi (they go to our church, too) is allergic to eggs, too. For his birthday cake (he's 2 days older than Sidney) he had an eggless cake. She said she substituted applesauce and said it was pretty good. Good luck with it! And I pray in a few years when Kendall tests again she won't be allergic anymore!

    ReplyDelete