As if a Saints loss this last week was not enough to impede on my black and gold Christmas, we had another slight interruption to the flow of the holiday spirit around here. (And "flow" would be a good choice of word.) And to prove it's still tis the season to be jolly here's my rendition...
Twas four days before Christmas and all through the house.
Nothing was stirring, especially no mouse!
Kendall was nestled for a nap all snug in her bed.
And Mommy's to-do list was flying through her head.
When from behind the refrigerator, a faint sound her attention caught her.
It was the faint little sound of a trickle of water.
Mommy scooted the fridge back to take a closer look.
Donned with a flashlight, that's all it took.
The water came gushing quick as a wink.
At this rate, in a matter of time it would stretch to the sink!
"These wood floors!" she thought, "That we lay with our own tears and sweat,"
Will be quickly ruined if they should get too wet!"
In the blink of an eye she called Gabe on the phone.
"How do I shut the water off?? Hurry, get home!"
"Go outside!" he urged, "to the front yard!"
"I think I know where the water valve is!" and he thought really hard.
Away to the front lawn I flew like a flash
And tore round the corner searching the grass.
Our neighbor who happened to be in his yard heard the clatter.
He sprang to my drive to see what was the matter.
The lustre of sunshine that day gave a glow.
As we searched for the water meter in the grass down below.
When, what to our wondering eyes should appear,
But the water meter. He shouted, "I found it. It's here!"
What a great neighbor, so lively and quick.
I knew in a moment he'd do the trick.
More rapid than eagles he dug through the muck.
"Oh no!" he exclaimed, "The valve is stuck!"
Away to his garage, with a bound, he did fly.
To find a wrench to help him pry.
I spoke not a word as his hands gave a jerk.
"There!" he exclaimed, "Go see if it worked!"
Meanwhile Gabe's courers flew down the expressway.
I knew at that moment praying all the way.
And when he got home, what did appear to his eye?
But his wife on the floor with towels trying to get the floor dry.
Service men were called to come over to try
To see if they could get the floors dry.
They set up three HUGE fans all over the place.
For three solid days till there's no water - not a trace.
And who else appeared amidst all the luster?
None other than the insurance claims adjuster.
He came out to investigate, measure and ponder
If our floors could be saved from the torrent of water.
They conferred and agreed unanimously
That the floors would be saved from the mild catastrophe.
So now as I type over fans' deafening ROAR
I still have my beautiful wood kitchen floor.
"Thank your neighbor," they told me with glee.
"He helped save your floors. You're very lucky."
"In only one hour your house would have been flooded.
And all your wood floors would have been gutted."
And so to Jerry, the best neighbor around.
Merry Christmas, to you may joy and peace abound.
We baked him a delicious Christmas coffee cake.
It's the least we could do for goodness sake!
There you have it, friends. Christmas is one day away. My kitchen is a roadblock and wind tunnel of roaring fans. I have way too much to cook and bake. And until the fans were repositioned my laundry room was inaccessible except to walking out the front door and around through the garage. But I'm aware of the slight inconvenience it really is. It could have been a totally different story.
I'm also reminded how even the simplest acts of kindness can be such huge blessings to others. I pray that I can be a kindly neighbor to those God brings in contact with me. Yes, God calls us to grand things for His Kingdom, but He asks us to be available and willing for the small divine appointments as well.
So in spite of all the hustle and bustle and minor details that may or may not be going your way, remember all the blessings God has given you and rejoice. The greatest gift of all, Jesus, is given for you. My prayer for you, as well as myself, is that we will look beyond ourselves, think eternally, and live to be a blessing.
Merry Christmas!


YOU my friend have to be the most creative thinker i know of. absolutely the best!! so glad your floors are going to be okay as well :)
ReplyDelete